Sunday, August 5, 2012

Urban Decay NAKED Skin Foundation review, comparisons, swatches + photos!

Looking at the pre-release photos and what this product offered, I couldn't, not try this.
In the beginning, I ignored it as hype and wrote it off as a high priced foundation.
But then...
Then, I took a look at the early reviews and was convinced that I had to form my own opinion so I caved and bought it.
Was I happy? We'll get to that soon enough...;)




Urban Decay NAKED skin is a lightweight build-able foundation that is supposed to mimic real skin. Setting in a Demi-matte formula, it is the best of both worlds. Real skin looking and coverage?
That's what I'm talking about!

 Urban Decays claims: 

Coverage without compromise. Our weightless formula blurs imperfections for a flawless finish that feels invisible, but looks professionally retouched.

Naked Skin uses light-diffusing spheres to "blur" imperfections for a luminous, demi-matte finish that feels invisible but looks professionally retouched. Naked Skin is oil-free, paraben-free, fragrance-free, and loaded with nourishing ingredients.
Our range of 18 meticulously calibrated shades use a numbering system to help you choose your perfect match.

Price: $38 





Being that my HG inexpensive foundation is Revlon's photoready, I decided to give this one a try.
 I am always looking for new foundation/products that will give me a perfect skin appearance.
At $38, its not the most expensive foundation out there, by far, but I did cringe inside when paying for it.
In comparison, both Revlon and UD product size is 1oz.
Traditional Foundation bottles usually contain 1 fluid oz. 

Alittle insight to how much I love Urban Decay. I love their mantra (beauty with an edge), I love their funky packaging, I love their products and how happy they make me!
My very first make-up product was  a couple of Urban Decay eyeshadows that I won at a pre-screening of Freaky friday (the movie) back when I was about 12 years old. I got 2 eyeshadows and a palette. I had no idea what Urban Decay was all about and how amazing a product it was, but I have to say, I remember being in love the moment I first laid eyes on my prize. The eyeshadows I won, I believe were half baked and some olive green color.
Every product I buy from Urban Decay is always a great purchase in my book. Most notably, my favorites include The NAKED palette, their entire line of 24/7 glide on eye pencils (perversion,junkie, psychedelic sister are my favs), darkhorse/Maui wowie eyeshadow, and their ever so famous Eyelid Primer potion, the original.


I am wearing UD Half baked on inner lid, and smog e/s in the crease, along with the NAKED Foundation in 4.0

Application:
Because I apply foundation, I like to start with a good base.
 I used Benefits The porefessional first to prime out my pores around my nose and forehead area. I also spritz with Mario Badescu's Facial mist afterwards, which is like liquid gold.
Before applying the foundation, you need to shake the bottle well, which might be a nuisance if your in a rush.
Next, I added squirts of NAKED on the inner cheek area around nose and blended outward. This formula blends amazing but also very fluid so make sure not to add to much at one time or it will make its way down your face too fast. I found that the best results are with a stippling brush.

The wear time on me was a full 7 hours. I did notice fading and wear around my mouth area and nostril area (to give some insight into my skin, I have a oily nostril area and t-zone area).
 It might have had to do with drinking and such, but overall, it was long wearing and light. Breathable,  but still gave great coverage, not mask-like at all.
The coverage is Light to Medium.

This product does not contain SPF. It isn't a plus in my book at the moment, because I apply my own SPF before I use foundation but to others who rely on their foundation having a "all in one" kind of feature, it might be a make or break thing.


Left to right: Urban Decay NAKED skin 5.0, Benefit Hello oxygen Im all the rage beige, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Revlon Photoready Golden Beige 008, NARS Sheer glow Stromboli.

I noticed that out of all the shades here, Urban Decay looks like it has the most red tint. The Benefit and NARS Foundation are super yellow in my case and almost make my skin look unnaturally yellow, however, I think the Neutrogena foundation is the perfect mix, its neutral. The perfect amount of pink and yellow undertones. Revlon is my favorite because it has peachy undertones to balance my color.

Overall thoughts

Pros
Demi-matte look
18 different various shades (warm/cool) available
Light weight
Pump applicator
Specially designed brush sold
Plastic bottle for little weight carrying

Cons:
Drying on my skin
Expensive
Have to shake it well, which might be troublesome if your in a rush

You can find NAKED at your local Sephora, Ulta or online at Urbandecay.com



I filmed my review and other tidbits HERE. I go over everything pretty thoroughly and any comments and likes would be appreciated. Please stop by and say hello!



Make sure you follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Hellocotton!



Would I repurchase? Yes!
The different shades for warm and cool tones make me want to come back in the winter and get my shade to match. I love the finish and the natural healthy skin appearance it gives me when my skin is not up to par.
I love the pump bottle also. Its not glass so you don't have to worry about it shattering.
(Update- I actually dropped this on hard tile from a standing position and it did not crack or break. WIN!!)

(UPDATE)
After having this foundation for the last 1 1/2 years, I have to say, I am still loving it! I use it everyday and I love that it makes my skin look flawless, but still you can see my skin peeking through. I have had a problem with leaky pumps so I don't know if its just a isolated incident or it effects all of the bottles. 

I love this foundation and it definitely is HG status for me. 


Did you get NAKED? Do you want to?
Comment below!


(Disclaimer: I paid for all products with my own money)

25 comments:

  1. Your skin looks AMAZING! I have too many foundations on the go or else I would definitely pick up a bottle. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob doll! Thank you. I having been going foundation crazy lately, I bought the Benefit hello oxygen at the same time as this. Such choices!

      Delete
  2. looks gorgeous on you! Love your thorough reviews! That lipstick is perfect on you! What color is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry. I had to edit it. Its actually Maybelline buttercup, not revlon. Its discontinued, :(. I used Rimmel Natural for lining and buttercup for blending.

      Delete
  3. Looks nice on you. The matte effect sounds nice, but the dryness would really bother me.
    Beauty and Fashion in Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Girlie. Yup, I like matte, but dryness is a whole different ball game.

      Delete
  4. Just had to comment on this - your skin looks incredible!
    It looks really luminous and fresh - I now am really wanting this after seeing how it looks on your skin.

    - Rhi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you you Rhi. I love luminous and fresh. Better than dry and old!!! :) Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this foundation I got my hands on it on Friday, but do agree it is very drying. I suffer from dry skin on my nose and it really does cling to the skin and doesn't blend well :( I can live with that though as I do like how it feels on my skin :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Charlee! I can deal with the dryness around my nose, since its should an awesome formula. I just hate how it looks and im a picker so I always pick at the dry skin, which makes it worse. :0

      Delete
  6. your skin does look amazing with it! I want it so bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betzy! You should try it at least! Its worth the $38, in my opinion. :)

      Delete
  7. I really like that urban decay has said no to animal testing. I will get around to checking out more of their products. So far, I have some eye palettes and the primer and I really love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was glad when they decided to not sell in china because of animal testing. I just bought tons more products from them, because I have never been disappointed. Have you tried their eyeliner Perversion? The BEST liner, in my book!

      Delete
  8. Wow your skin is flawless and you are gorgeous!! I now want to purchase this foundation! I've tried many foundations, but I can never seem to find my HG :(. What are you favorite drugstore and high-end foundations?

    ♡ Mary Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Favorite drugstore is Revlon Photoready in Golden Beige and Neutrogena Healthy Skin in Natural Beige. I have a review on the Photoready. and have yet to do a review on the Healthy skin. They match my NC35 skin fairly well. Slightly lighter then what I actually am, but I use bronzer to warm up my skin and match my neck. For my Favorite high end Foundations, I really am loving MAC Face and Body in C3. It is so beautiful, yet not over powering. I also love Urban Decays NAKED skin in 5.0 and NARS sheer glow in Stomboli. I have a light review on the MAC Face and body in my October Favorites. I haven't yet done a full review for the Urban Decay or the NARS. I love all of them, yet for different reasons. I would really suggest checking out the MAC face and body if you can. Such an amazing formula. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow this is a really great review, I so whant to try this product. I'm having a blog hop on my blog for Aug 20th and I hope you join, you can check out my blog for more details. And I really like your blog, new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheer beauty. Appreciate your support. I love your blog also!

      Delete
  10. Very nice ! Looks very natural !

    http://christellegblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They did a great job on this foundation.

      Delete
  11. Your skin always looks so flawless! (Jealous!!) I So want to try this but the price has me waiting! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be kidding. Yours is freakin AMAZE-BALLS! Seriously. You look like you have no dark circles whats so ever. I, on the other hand, can't seem to cover them up :)

      Delete
  12. Nice! Love your lipstick color also,what is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Rimmel lipliner in Wild clover and Revlon colorstay mineral lipglaze in Timeless nude. Its one of my favorite combos.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by. I read each & every comment, and reply back when needed. So go ahead & share it below!!♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...